Gran Canaria: Gran Canaria is the second largest island of the Canary Islands. It is located about 150 km (93 miles) north west of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean. Gran Canaria is commonly referred to as the “Miniature Continent” due to its many different temperature climates and landscapes. The island of Gran Canaria has long golden beaches and white sand dunes. The most popular visited region of Gran Canaria is the southern portion, which is sunnier and has warmer temperature then the northern part of the island.
Points of Interest for Cheap Holidays to Gran Canaria:
- Snorkeling – The water around the island is crystal clear, making it perfect for snorkeling. The Gran Canaria coral reefs are home to a large variety of sea life. The sea life living in the coral reefs are very unique, due the island’s location in the Atlantic Ocean. The coral reefs are home to cold water species and typical open ocean sea life. Common sea life to these coral reefs are parrotfish, moray eels, wrasse fish, damsel fish, seahorses, octopuses, and cuttlefish. The volcanic origins of Gran Canaria make for beautiful viewing while snorkeling as well.
- Sioux City – Sioux City is modeled after a western town. It was build to film a movie and later was turned into a popular holiday destination. The Sioux City staff puts on two western shows every day, except on Mondays (the park is closed on Mondays). Sioux City is located in Canon del Aguila. This western town features a store, a church and several restaurants. Every Friday night, Sioux City host a western barbecue night.
- Zoos / Botanical Gardens – The island of Gran Canaria houses several zoos and botanical gardens. On the island, you will find the Jardín Canaio (Las Palmas), Palmitos Park (Maspalomas), Banana Park (Maspalomas), Cactualdea (La Aldea), Reptilandia (Gádder), and the Cocodrilo Park (Aguïmes).
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – Las Palmas is the capital of Gran Canaria. This is where Christopher Columbus first stopped on his way back to Spain from the Americans. Las Palmas host many events throughout the year, including the Festival of Theater and Dance, Canary Islands Music Festival, Jazz Festival, and the Fantastic and Terror Film Festival of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The city of Las Palmas also is home to four popular beaches.
- Puerto De Magán – Puerto De Magán is also known as “Little Venice” and is located in the city of Magán. Puerto De Magán is a resort and a small fishing village. Many restaurants and bars are located on the waterfront. Friday nights many on holiday visit Puerto De Magán because of a very popular market, which draws in tourists from all over the island.
Gran Canaria has much to offer for a spectacular cheap holiday. Gran Canaria has wonderful beaches, beautiful botanical gardens, and many other attractions to enjoy. You will not be disappointed when you book your next cheap holiday to Gran Canaria.